Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kragga Kamma crime - Police need to step in

THE article on the elderly woman, who was found murdered in her Bendor Drive cottage in Beverley Grove, has saddened and angered me ("Women's murders rock Bay, January 28).

Approximately five months ago my family and I moved from Bendor Drive, Beverley Grove, to another suburb, in order to find quietness and safety, as we were fully exposed to the elements from the informal squatter camp and the bottle store in Kragga Kamma Road.

The result of this combination often resulted in intolerable drunken behaviour, that led to these elements littering, urinating and defecating in public. Walking through Beverley Grove made one feel unsafe.

My wife and I love walking and often we were stopped and money asked of us.

On many occasions, I called the Kabega Park police station to report incidents and waited to see the outcome. In the majority of instances, the police did not arrive at the scene. At times I followed up with additional telephone calls, to be told that the police were on their way ? but still they did not arrive.

The last incident resulted in me actually visiting the police station to see what was recorded in the call log and, there to my astonishment, I found that my complaint based on the time of my call, was only recorded when I made the third call.

Furthermore, the bottle store sells liquor to these people, thereby fuelling the situation. The liquor is often consumed on the common off Kragga Kamma Road or just over the railway tracks toward Kamma Park.

To add to the calamity, the taxis use this area as a transit point, with music blaring, hooters going and "jumping" the robots at the corner of Kragga Kamma Road and Verdun Road.

It is easy to ask: "where is the neighbourhood watch?". Due to poor support, it collapsed, yet one must ask the question: "where are the police?"

Why should the neighbourhood watch do what the police should be doing, and after you have done your own job during the day? One feels helpless in the lawless society we live in, which is common in South Africa. The question is, what can be done to improve the protection of the innocent, law-abiding citizens of this country, or is it each one for himself?

I wish that a trustworthy official would send a response to this letter in the Herald, indicating what will be done to improve things ... someone who we can believe in and who will make things happen.

W le Roux, Brymore, Port Elizabeth

Source: http://www.peherald.com/news/article/11870

Latest Presidential Polls trump debate presidential debate Iron Man 3 marco scutaro Russell Means

No comments:

Post a Comment